Well I started my "new" old job today. It was great. I didn't realize how much I really missed it till I went back. I liked my previous job too, but the OR is completely different. Someone told me once the first time I went to work there that it would "get in your blood and you'll always want to do it". Honestly I thought they were crazy, since my clinical OR day of nursing school had to have been one of the worst clinical days ever. I swore I would never work in an OR. Over 2 years of med-surg nursing later I was ready to try anything. Even the sworn off OR. I worked in the OR for 3 years before I went to our birthing center to do mother-baby care. I liked it but my mind always went back to the OR. There's just nothing that compares to it. It's one of the few places where as a nurse I only have one patient to worry about at a time. I get to focus all my efforts on that one patient. Any fellow nurses out there will understand how important this is. Not only do I only have one patient, but that patient has only met me for all of 10 minutes before they are drugged and they have put their safety almost entirely in my hands. The down side to it is the patients don't remember it, so there's not much recognition afterwards from patients. But I know day in and day out that I make a difference in my patients lives.
So today was my first day back down there in 3 years. I had to do some paperwork then I got to hang out with my good friend I left. It was fun and I found myself asking, why did I leave. Now for most of you who know me, I'm more of a glass half empty kind of person. Today I wasn't and I am going to pray daily that I don't go back to that. I got lots of "glad you're back" and "good to see you"s but I got a lot of "do you know what you're getting into" or "why'd you come backs" too. It saddened me a little because the latter comments came from people who weren't necessarily happy in the job years ago when I left. I so don't want to turn into that down the road. As with any job, there are always going to be things you don't like about it. You pretty much have 2 choices. One is to quit complaining and focus your energy on work and be thankful to God that you have a job or find another job. If you're not happy in your job maybe you should weigh out your options. I had to do that and decided that the pros of changing jobs well outweighed the cons of staying put. They always say the grass is greener on the other side. That's just because you're too far away to see all the cow patties! They are everywhere, you just have to pray and ask God's guidance to avoid them so you don't stink too!
I might add it was nice to get off at 3pm instead of 730 tongiht. Now I actually have time to go to Sam's, get gas in the car, cook and play with my child. All before bedtime!
No comments:
Post a Comment