Monday, August 18, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten

My baby started kindergarten this morning. It's bittersweet. I'm happy but then I'm sad because she is growing up. I swear it was just yesterday that they were telling me they had to deliver my baby 5 weeks early to keep me well and alive. Now here she is 4 years 10 1/2 months later starting kindergarten. Where does the time go?
Things went smoother than I thought. A few weeks ago I got all her supplies and we got a few new outfits. Our friends came in from out of town this weekend so I wanted to have everything ready and not wait till the last minute to get it together. So I had her backpack packed and ready to go this morning. We laid out the first day of school outfit and I cleaned her shoes. She has been wanting me to curl her hair but always waits till its to late to ask. I told her I would put her hair in curlers and roll it for today. After we ate supper last night we got ice cream then came home to roll the hair. Normally, she doesn't sit still for me to fix her hair. She did pretty good last night. I got it all rolled then I put her in the bed. She was excited but settled down easier than I anticipated.


I got up this morning and got ready then got her up. Getting her out of bed is like pulling teeth. I don't know where she gets it from ;o) I fed her breakfast then we headed up to get ready. I got her dressed then tackled the hair. She was posing all in the mirror like she was a model. Finally got her hair fixed and headed downstairs to get her book bag and head off to school.


















We drive to school, find a parking space and get out. I wanted to get a picture of her getting out of the car but she wouldn't let me. We passed a few friends and their parents. We made it to the entrance of the school building and her true colors started showing. I knew they would come. It just shocked me that they waited this long to surface. The whining started about not wanting to go. She didn't want me to take a picture. She finally agreed to a picture and I tried my best to get her to smile. Then I decided she didn't have to smile in all of them. In fact if she didn't, it would be proof later that she wasn't always pleasant. Well there was a little smile, but she wasn't happy.
Then came the last leg. We walked to the classroom. We went in and after some coaxing got the book bag hung up in her cubby and I walked her to her seat. Then she really poured on the "please don't go'", "hold me mommy" etc. I picked her up and gave her a big hug and kiss and told her to enjoy her day that she was going to have so much fun. Her teacher put a name tag sticker on her. I tried to get her to sit down so I could take a picture of her at her table with her friends but she would have none of that. Finally, I told her bye and started to walk away. She started to cry and run after me but her teacher came over, took her hand and walked her over to see the snake.
I walked out and snapped this picture. No tears or crying or anything after that. Just my baby standing there looking so little yet so big at the same time. I hope she has a wonderful day. If not mommy will make it better with ice cream when I pick her up!

No comments: