Do they still exist? Well yes they do. Although they are far and few between. We have one not too far from us. (http://belmontdrivein.20megsfree.com/index.html) It's a great experience. Not to mention affordable. We decided to go to the drive in last night. Wall-E was playing. It's Disney/Pixar, so we figured it would be a good family movie and keep our child interested.
At our drive-in it's $8 per car. You drive in, park next to a pole with a speaker and wait till the show begins. You can also tune your radio to their station and listen in your car without the speaker. The gate opens around 7pm. A lot of people will be there when it opens. We decided to go around 8pm. That's not a bad time since you still get a good space and only 1-1.5 hours till the movie starts. So we get there around 8, get settled and it starts "mommy, I gotta go potty" . The bathrooms aren't great and I usually miss 1/4 of the movie for potty breaks. I put her off for another half hour. She just went 1/2 hour before, how can she have to go again? (it's the thrill of the nasty bathroom). Finally around 820pm we go to the potty, (which is 2 stalls not big enough to even turn around in with a shower curtain for the door.) and then get in line for popcorn. About 10 minutes and $5 later, we have a medium popcorn and blue cotton candy. We head back to the car to get settled. My child is antsy and the movie finally starts about 930 or so. She whines the whole time and finally falls asleep after yet another trip to the potty. With it being late in the evening it's cool outside but not so cool in the car, especially with a child laying on you. Did I mention I have had some sinus crud going on since I got back from vacation? I still don't feel well but didn't want to keep everyone else from having a good time. So we are hot, restless and don't feel good trapped in the car. Next time we go in the summer, we will have to take our chairs to sit outside.
As for the movie, it' wasn't great. If I had gone to the theatre and paid $8 per person I would have been upset. That's what makes the drive-in a great deal though. The price is cheap even for only 1 person in a car. But its the same even if you have a 16 passenger van. That'd be $0.50 per person. Isn't that cool? Plus they do 2 movies, so usually you will like one of them. We normally stay to watch the second movie but hubby had to work today so we on;y watched the first. It was 11pm by the time it was over. The snack bar is pretty cheap compared to the regular movies too. Plus they give you a trash bag when you drive in to put your trash in and at the end you leave it beside the speakers and they pick it up. Last night wasn't that great of an adventure, I think primarily because I didn't feel great, but we will definitely go back. They usually stay open until November. So if you live close to a drive-in movie theatre, you should check it out sometime this summer. It's a great(normally) family experience!
1 comment:
That sounds fun. We did the OBX style drive in last night. It was "Horton Hears a Who" on the lawn at the same place we did the fireworks. It wasn't bad for free. We did spend a couple of bucks for canned sodas and popcorn ($1 each) to support the local high school volleyball team. I heard that WallE was a cute movie, though.
Post a Comment