Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Quilting 101 Class #1

So my quilt class started last week. It was fun! There are 6 women in the class and we seem to get along well. This beginning of the class was just instruction on supplies to use and stuff like that. Then we got into the actual learning to cut and piece the beginning of the quilt and we sewed and sewed.
We were asked to bring a 1/2 yard cutting each of a small, medium and large print fabric that coordinated. So here's what I picked out and took:




The first pattern we made was a checkerboard. We started by cutting a strip of 2 different fabrics and sewing them together. This is what we had when finished:



This by itself is also called a rail fence I think. Then we cut this into small strips and sewed 2 small strips together. Then the groups of 4 were sewed together until we had 9 small strips. We made 2 of these checkerboard strips.


The next step was to pick out a 4th fabric. We then cut 4 large squares that we used to make a checkerboard with but this time it only had 4 squares. It is going to be the center of the quilt. Here's what I used for that :

It's hard to tell in this picture, but it's a bright green not yellow. It goes really well with the purple. All of the fabrics I picked were all made to coordinate with each other. I'm really excited about learning how to finish the rest of it! Class 2 is next week so there will be more to come!

No comments: